Sunday, June 5, 2011

What was I thinking?

    
This is the question I was asking myself as I’m walking out of the tattoo parlor with my new tattoo all wrapped up.  Fresh body art permanently on my wrist!  FOREVER! It’s not that the tattoo was done poorly or is ugly to me, but after the fact, I quickly realized that this was not what I wanted to look at FOREVER!  Statistics show that around 16% of people who have tattoos completely regret getting them.  Roughly comes out to 1 out of every 6 people.  So while I don’t like admitting I’m now part of a “statistic”, I’d like to think my situation is a little different in the sense that most of these people that had regret, had it years later down the road.  I, on the other hand, regretted mine within hours!  I don’t think this makes the situation better; in fact it makes me feel just flat out dumb.  There are no excuses.  But if only one thing comes out of this whole experience I’m going though, I hope it’s that people will actually think twice before settling or making any big decision.  This is part of the reason for this Blog. The biggest reason though is for other people who feel the same way I feel, but don’t know about tattoo removal options.  Or they’re just plain scared and a skeptic just like me!   
So now what? Maybe if the tattoo was in a different location I could cope with this better. But it’s right in my face all of the time. For days I just wished that I would be able to wake up and this would all turn out to be a horrible dream. Surely I did not really just go through with this.  Surely I do not have to go the rest of my life staring at this tattoo on my wrist! Was there a way to undo what is meant to never be undone? This was my new mission. Rather than dwell on the mistake I had to find out if there was a solution. 
While I didn’t really believe at first that there was really a legitimate way to remove a tattoo, I still decided to amuse myself and do some searching. I found some very morbid and disturbing techniques, if that’s what you even really want to call them, but ultimately stumbled onto the most popular and proven effective way to remove a tattoo.  Laser Tattoo Removal! I’m still quite the skeptic even though I have been researching for almost 2 months now.  I had consultations at a few different facilities and ultimately decided on MEDermis Tattoo Removal Clinic in Dallas. 
Another reason for me doing this Blog is that while doing all this research I got very irritated because there’s not a lot of examples and information of real people going through the process. Of course websites have before and after pictures and tell how the laser works, but I was only able to find less than a hand full of real people documenting everything you don’t see on a clinics website.  This is definitely a journey, but for anyone who is adamant about erasing a mistake, this hopefully will be worth the commitment.  Also while researching; I got so tired of hearing, “Think Before You Ink” or "Didn’t you know that tattoos are forever?"  Which, yes, obviously this is great advice and what people should think about beforehand.  However, it's obviously too late to go back and redo anything if you’re asking for advice about tattoo removal.  Everyone makes mistakes, some are just more difficult to undo or make right.  And I know that for me this will be a very long, very unpleasant and quite expensive lesson to learn from!

No comments:

Post a Comment